Home » War's End » Reconstruction
In 1943 the federal government began to look ahead to the years after the war. It wanted to ensure that communities across Canada would be able to move smoothly into the post-war economy. It established a Department of Reconstruction in June 1944 to work with the provinces in the organization of a countrywide program.

In Summerside a post-war reconstruction and economic planning committee was formed by the Board of Trade in February 1944. In October that year, the Board heard an address at the Town Hall by John S. Galbraith from the federal Department of Reconstruction who explained the long-term loans that would be available to towns and cities undertaking qualifying housing projects.

The province formed a Department of Reconstruction in June 1944. In April of 1945, the Deputy Minister, J. F. Connolly, visited Summerside to address a public meeting on the matter of reconstruction. He explained that nine technical committees had been formed to complete studies and report back to a 25-person Advisory Committee. The areas of study were to be health and public welfare, agriculture, forestry, education, fisheries, revenue, tourism and transportation, public services, and housing. The aim of the Advisory Committee was to use the prepared reports to come up with a plan, including estimated costs, to submit to the federal government.

Summerside Town Council submitted proposals for a local reconstruction program to federal and provincial Reconstruction Councils in 1945 with the hope of "obtaining financial aid for certain necessary projects within the Town." The mayor's annual report to ratepayers gave the assurance that "The business of our Town generally will have our best effort, and it is our aim to continue to improve conditions and be progressive within the limits of a safe economy."

In August 1945, the province submitted a report at a Dominion-Provincial Conference in Ottawa. The result for the Island was the formation of the Prince Edward Island Regional Reconstruction Council. Peter G. Clark of Summerside was chosen as chairman of the council comprised of ten Island business and industrial leaders.

The PEI Council under the federal Dept of Reconstruction opened an office in Summerside in December 1945. It was located in the Journal Publishing building with Major J. S. Wright in charge and Jennie Johnson as stenographer. The opening had been delayed in order to allow Major Wright to recover from a serious war wound sustained after his appointment.

The function of the Council was to stay in touch with all matters of reconstruction and to recommend projects for submission to the federal department, which would be controlling the funding.